Knowing how amazing chocolate is ( super dark chocolate!), I was thinking we should celebrate it more often.
Personally, I eat chocolate every single day, along wih the rest of my family – it’s our thing, taking care of our longevity all together. Being healthy is easy, after all.
What’s important, though, is to become a chocolate snob. Don’t fall for the cheap sugary shit, you’re worth much more. Get yourself a real chocolate, minimum 70% cacao. I know it may seem weird the first time, but trust me, soon, you won’t want to go back to the old crap. Read chocolate tastes like luxury. And today’s mousse is all about luxury.
It’s incredible, fluffly, yet super rich.
Now, in case you need some motivation to eat chocolate & make delicious, luxury AND healthy desserts with chocolate, I’ll gladly remind you why you need chocolate in your life! 🙂
Studies suggest that dark chocolate & cocoa are awesome because:
- flavanols in cocoa are bioavailable; they enter our circulation
- may act cardioprotective
- inhibit LDL oxidation
- can improve insulin sensitivity
- have positive impact on blood pressure
- can weaken platelet reactivity
- increase plasma antioxidant power
- can reduce LDL cholesterol + increase HDL cholesterol
- possible benefits to cognitive performance
- may reduce inflammation
- boosts endorphin & serotonin production → boosts mood (thanks to tryptophan, anandamide & phenylethylamine)
Convinced yet? Great!
You’re also gonna need greek yogurt, which is a lovely protein source & comes with the usual; calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, potassium, selenium. For those of you who can handle dairy well, I’d say it’s a lovely choice.
For those of you who can’t handle dairy, just sub for a vegan version – it should work just as fine!
Our next ingredient are egg whites; which give us the best quality protein & all the fluffiness. Love them! While they contain a bit of selenium & B vitamins, they’re mostly water + protein. Meaning, for the nutritional purposes, whole eggs are a better choice. But, we will be using only egg whites in thsie recipe – you can use yolks as a lovely addition to your other meal.
One thing to be mindful of – make sure your eggs are as fresh as possible. Which is why I’d recommend (and not only for this recipe) to get your eggs from trusted sources, where you know chickens are happy & eggs are super fresh.
Last tip; aside from eating it as is, you can, of course, top it with various nuts, seeds, fruits. I like it with fresh berries, nuts, shredded coconut & a bit of super powders.
WHY YOU SHOULD EAT IT:
- Chocolate + cocoa powder: magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium, selenium, copper, manganese, phosphorus, zinc, caffein, theobromine & tons of antioxidants
- Yoghurt: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, potassium, selenium
- Egg whites: best quality proteins, bit of selenium & B vitamins
Luxury, fluffly & healthy treat
- 1/2 cups (3oz, 85g) dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 ¼ tbsp (50g) greek yogurt
- 2 egg whites
Over a sauce pan, low/medium heat, melt chocolate, along with cacao poweder & water. Let it cool down.
Whip the egg whites with a handmixer, till thick.
Combine cool chocolate mixture with greek yogurt & carefully add egg whites. Combine slowly.
Pour into 2-3 glasses & keep in the fridge till serving - at best over night.